Students research styles of Japanese theater and present findings.
What Is Kabuki?
- Arts and Humanities
- World Geography
- In learning about Japanese drama styles, students increase their understanding of other cultures.
- Culture: Japan, with an emphasis on Kabuki and Bunraku
- Drama: use of elements of drama in dramatic works
- Show the Bunraku and Kabuki video segments in the Dance Toolkit and discuss attributes of these forms of drama.
- Have students research other styles of Japanese theater, including Noh and Kyogen.
The following web sites may be helpful in this research:
- Have students compare and contrast these dramatic forms and make generalizations about Japanese dramatic traditions that they can back up with evidence from their research.
- Have students prepare presentations or performances of the various styles.
Author: Mary Henson