Skip Navigation

end of KET nav
About the Series | KY Life Host | Paw Pals | Contact/DVD Info
Program 104

1. Sister Jeanne Deuber
2. the International Bluegrass Music Museum
3. the Kentucky Derby Museum
4. Kingdom Come State Park
Season One Menu

For more information:
• Sister Jeanne Deuber, Rhodes Hall Gallery, Nerinx, KY 40049, (502) 865-5811. The Loretto Community web site has historical information on the order and news about its work.

Producer: Charlee Heaton Pagoulatos
Videographer: Gale Worth
Editor: Dan Taulbee

Art of Devotion

Sister Jeanne Deuber

Religious faith has always inspired worshipful works of art. Sister Jeanne Deuber, an artist who lives and works with the Sisters of Loretto at the Loretto Motherhouse in Marion County, carries on that tradition. Schooled as a medical illustrator, she creates liturgical and other compositions of rich realism in wood, clay, and other media.

The Sisters of Loretto at the Foot of the Cross was one of the first religious orders for women to be founded in America. A Maryland-born teacher named Mary Rhodes and two friends who had come to help her run a school for Kentucky pioneers’ children established the order in 1812. They were advised and aided by Belgian-born priest Charles Nerinckx, who had gone into exile during the French Revolution and was doing missionary work on what was then the American frontier.

Nerinckx later had a falling-out with his bishop over the rules of the Loretto order and moved on to Missouri. But he is buried at the Motherhouse, which has operated in its current location since 1824. True to their order’s roots in teaching, the Sisters of Loretto have run numerous schools in the nearly two centuries since. Today, the Motherhouse is the administrative headquarters of an activist order whose operations reach several continents.

This segment is repeated in Kentucky Life Program 520.

For more information:
International Bluegrass Music Museum, 207 East Second St., Owensboro, KY 42303, (270) 926-7891

Producer: H. Russell Farmer
Videographer: David Brinkley
Editor: Dan Taulbee

Our Native Music

International Bluegrass Music Museum

Kentucky was also the birthplace of bluegrass music, so it’s only right that the International Bluegrass Music Museum be here, too. Located in Owensboro’s RiverPark Center, the museum first opened on a modest scale in the late 1990s. Our backstage look, taped pre-opening in 1995, is led by original executive director Tom Adler.

Since then, the museum has had a “renovation”—during which it was closed for more than two years—that tripled exhibition space and added state-of-the-art museum technology. In April 2002, more than 1,000 guests attended a grand re-opening, with Gov. Paul Patton doing the official dedication honors and members of the first class of the Bluegrass Hall of Fame looking on.

The International Bluegrass Music Museum is open Tuesday through Friday from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm CT and Saturdays and Sundays from 1:00 to 5:00 pm.

For more information:
Kentucky Derby Museum, 704 Central Ave., Louisville, KY 40208, (502) 637-7097

Producer/videographer: Treg Ward
Audio: Chuck Burgess
Editor: Dan Taulbee

120 Years of the Greatest 2 Minutes

The Kentucky Derby Museum

Another museum—and another Kentucky institution—is next on the agenda, as we visit the Kentucky Derby Museum at Churchill Downs in Louisville. The exhibits here are designed to let novice racing fans get a feel for the sport while showcasing the history of the Run for the Roses. This tour was also taped in 1995, so a visit today would feature some impressively high-tech additions, including a film about the Derby in high-definition television. But the basic idea remains the same: to celebrate horses, riders, America’s greatest horse race, and the event that makes Louisville the center of the sports universe for one day each May.

The museum is located at Churchill’s Gate 1. It is open daily except Thanksgiving, Christmas, Oaks and Derby days, and Breeders’ Cup day, when that event is held in Louisville.

For more information:
Kingdom Come State Park, Box M, Cumberland, KY 40823-0420, (606) 589-2479

Producer/videographer: Gale Worth
Editor: Esther Reed

Kentucky Mountain High

John Fox Jr. Kingdom Come State Park

Since it’s always good to get a little fresh air after seeing the indoor sights, our final segment for this program is a hiking tour of Kingdom Come State Park, a scenic jewel on the crest of Pine Mountain in Harlan County. Its five miles of hiking trails offer spectacular views of Black Mountain, Kentucky’s highest point. One popular vantage point, Raven Rock, is an exposed rock slab that rises more than 290 feet at a 45-degree angle.

Kingdom Come State Park was named for the novel The Little Shepherd of Kingdom Come by early 20th-century writer John Fox Jr. (right) ... who took the name from Kingdom Come Creek, a three-mile-long stream in Letcher County ... which probably was named for the “Thy kingdom come” line in the Lord’s Prayer by 19th-century settlers. Fox, who started his career as a reporter (he covered the Spanish-American War for Harper’s Weekly, among other assignments), became one of America’s best-selling authors with the publication of The Little Shepherd of Kingdom Come in 1903. In fact, it may have been the first American novel to sell more than a million copies, though records of the time are inexact. There’s more about Fox in Kentucky Life Program 318.

Kingdom Come State Park is located off U.S. 119 North. Manager Rick Fuller is our guide for this one.

SEASON 1 PROGRAMS: 101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115

< Previous Program | Next Program >

Sadie and Charlie Kentucky Life Home
Past Seasons
Browse by TopicAbout the Series
Our HostsPaw PalsOnline VideosContact/DVD Info
Kentucky Screensavers

600 Cooper Drive, Lexington, KY 40502 (859) 258-7000 (800) 432-0951