Rationing and Recycling
About The War
The War is the story of the Second World War through the personal accounts of a handful of men and women from four American towns. The war touched the lives of every family on every street in every town in America and demonstrated that in extraordinary times, there are no ordinary lives.
A Necessary War
Premiered On: 09/23/2007
After Pearl Harbor, millions of men enlist in the armed forces. In the Philippines, American and Filipino forces retreat onto Bataan, and thousands are imprisoned in Manila. Japanese Americans on the West Coast are forced into internment camps, while German U-boats decimate Allied shipping off the East Coast. After the Battle of Midway, American land forces face the Japanese for the first time at Guadalcanal. Viewer discretion advised.
- Sunday May 22, 2022 8:00 pm ET on KET2
- Sunday May 22, 2022 7:00 pm CT on KET2
- Wednesday May 25, 2022 3:30 am ET on KET
- Wednesday May 25, 2022 2:30 am CT on KET
- Thursday May 26, 2022 3:00 am ET on KET2
- Thursday May 26, 2022 2:00 am CT on KET2
When Things Get Tough
Premiered On: 09/24/2007
By January 1943, American troops are in North Africa, ready to battle Axis armies before invading southern Europe. Gen. George Patton assumes command, and American soldiers begin to beat back the Germans. In the U.S., workers flock to cities like Mobile and Waterbury, where factories run around the clock for the war effort, and more and more women enter the workforce. American airmen face preposterous odds on daylight bombing missions; Allied troops invade Sicily and southern Italy, where German resistance stiffens; and Allied leaders draw up plans for the invasion of France as Hitler strengthens his coastal defenses. Viewer discretion advised.
- Sunday May 29, 2022 8:00 pm ET on KET2
- Sunday May 29, 2022 7:00 pm CT on KET2
- Wednesday June 1, 2022 4:00 am ET on KET
- Wednesday June 1, 2022 3:00 am CT on KET
- Thursday June 2, 2022 3:00 am ET on KET2
- Thursday June 2, 2022 2:00 am CT on KET2
A Deadly Calling
Premiered On: 09/25/2007
Seeing American combat casualties in the media for the first time strengthens public resolve to do what is necessary to end the war. Despite American victories, the Japanese empire still stretches 4,000 miles, and the Marines mount a frontal assault on the tiny Pacific atoll of Tarawa. Booming ?wartowns? experience social tensions; African Americans are admitted to the Marine Corps; and Japanese-American men, originally designated as ?enemy aliens,? are permitted to form a special combat unit. Allied forces are stalled for months in the mountains south of Rome, but finally liberate the city. Viewer discretion advised.
- Sunday June 5, 2022 8:00 pm ET on KET2
- Sunday June 5, 2022 7:00 pm CT on KET2
- Wednesday June 8, 2022 4:00 am ET on KET
- Wednesday June 8, 2022 3:00 am CT on KET
- Thursday June 9, 2022 3:30 am ET on KET2
- Thursday June 9, 2022 2:30 am CT on KET2
Pride of Our Nation
Premiered On: 09/26/2007
On D-Day in the European theater, Allied troops embark on one of the greatest invasions in history. The Germans are in full retreat by mid-August 1944, and Paris is liberated on August 25. In the Pacific, the Marines fight the costliest battle to date on the island of Saipan. At home, War Department telegrams begin arriving at a rate inconceivable a year earlier. Viewer discretion advised.
- Sunday June 12, 2022 8:00 pm ET on KET2
- Sunday June 12, 2022 7:00 pm CT on KET2
- Wednesday June 15, 2022 3:30 am ET on KET
- Wednesday June 15, 2022 2:30 am CT on KET
- Thursday June 16, 2022 3:30 am ET on KET2
- Thursday June 16, 2022 2:30 am CT on KET2
No recent airdatesTop