Explores life at the Abbey of Gethsemani in Nelson County, one of the most well-known monasteries in the world. While much of Gethsemani's fame comes from having been the monastic home of the renowned spiritual master Thomas Merton, filmmaker Morgan Atkinson reveals that there is much more to this rural Kentucky monastery than the legacy of one man. Shot over the course of two years, his documentary captures monastic life both as Merton lived it and as it is lived today by his Trappist brothers while exploring the appeal of Gethsemani to the thousands of visitors who come to the monastery every year. Produced with support from the KET Fund for Independent Production, this program received a Gabriel Award from the Catholic Academy for Communications Arts Professionals.
59:09 | #0 | TV-G | First Aired: February 5, 2003
- KETKY: Sunday, April 16 at 10:00 AM ET / Sunday, April 16 at 9:00 AM CT
- KETKY: Sunday, April 16 at 7:00 PM ET / Sunday, April 16 at 6:00 PM CT
- KETKY: Monday, April 17 at 12:00 AM ET / Sunday, April 16 at 11:00 PM CT
- KETKY: Wednesday, April 19 at 7:00 AM ET / Wednesday, April 19 at 6:00 AM CT
- KETKY: Wednesday, April 19 at 8:00 PM ET / Wednesday, April 19 at 7:00 PM CT
- KETKY: Friday, April 21 at 6:00 PM ET / Friday, April 21 at 5:00 PM CT
- KETKY: Saturday, April 22 at 11:00 AM ET / Saturday, April 22 at 10:00 AM CT
- KETKY: Saturday, April 22 at 8:00 PM ET / Saturday, April 22 at 7:00 PM CT
Available to in-state residents only.
KET Duplication Services
600 Cooper Drive
Lexington, KY 40502-2296
Price available upon request.
To purchase products from Gethsemani, please call (800) 549-4133. For retreat information, call (502) 549-4133 or (502) 549-4129.